The Next Chapter is an initiative run by The Wheeler Centre. Each year, they pick ten writers and give them $15,000 to develop their work. Each author is paired up with a mentor and the support results in connecting with other writers, publishers, booksellers, readers—people you want to read by.
Basically, if you’re a writer who doesn’t have access to that adoring audience yet, this is your chance.
Applications close on 13 July at 5 pm and I reckon there’s still time to write that:
- 300-word statement outlining how you’ll personally benefit from the experience
- Get someone to write you a one-page letter vouching that you can deliver the work
- 200-word summary of your writing sample
- Oh and get that writing sample ready
- Prose (fiction or nonfiction): 10,000 words of a book-length work-in-progress
- Poetry: 10–15 completed pages of a book length work of poetry that will be preferably more than 50 pages
- Graphic novel: 15–30 pages of a work-in-progress
Either way, good luck! (I know I’ll need it.)